Saturday, May 21, 2011

Racing to Save Lives

That is the title of Freckles' post here. If you head over there, you can read about her new friend, Alex. He is a 6 year old boy with leukemia who is fighting for his life. Freckles is running in his honor and is working to raise $3200 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. At the time of this writing, she has raised $1045. I donated $50. Some have donated more. Some have donated less. Please go to Freckles' Team in Training page to make a donation. No amount is too small. You can make a difference.


Freckles shared this story:

Tonight, at the Team in Training Kick Off Party, I listened to my friend Terry speak about her daughter, who died of cancer when she was only 5 years old. I heard a story that was so moving, so heartbreaking, and so bitter sweet, I cried my eyes out... and as I carefully glanced around the room, I realized I was not the only one. I was in good company. Not a dry eye in the room.

Tonight, a young woman with no hair stood in front of a crowd of people, and with tears in her eyes, choking up, she spoke of her diagnosis just two months ago. I joined the crowd for the standing ovations, as she returned to her chair .(I later got to hug her good bye.)

Tonight, a small boy called "GO TEAM" into the microphone. He is a cancer survivor... barely 5 years old.

Tonight, I met the most amazing people... all of whom were there for different reasons, and all of whom were there for the same reason. To run, walk, bicycle, or swim for a cause... to cure blood cancers.

Tonight, my friend Terry, who is training for her 22nd event (!!) said, "I will come back every year, until the day a doctor can say to a patient, yes, you have leukemia, but that's okay... because we have a medication for that. And it has no side effects."

Tonight, I attended a life changing event. I learned just how important this cause is. And if I didn't know it before, I do know now, just how precious this little life of mine is. I came home to my two healthy children, and I hugged them and kissed them, and I felt incredibly thankful for them... and for their health.

Tonight, I learned that since the beginning of this year's Team in Training season that has only just begun a couple of weeks ago, we have already raised $45,000!

Tonight, I'm asking you to visit my fundraising website and to make a donation, so that we... all of us together can make a difference.

THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment