Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Inside, Outside, Upside Down

I believe that I've mentioned being an indoor girl. I enjoy the outdoors, don't get me wrong, but I have my limits. Growing up, we weren't really an outdoor family, I guess it rubbed off on me. And it seems to have rubbed of on Princess, too.

I do want to get outside more, especially as the weather is beginning to change. I thought that having a goal would help. I've heard of letterboxing and geocaching. I've even been letterboxing. I think for me, geocaching might be a better choice. You see, I have almost no sense of direction. A GPS will be most helpful. There is also that added fun of it being a treasure hunt and from what I've seen, there are a lot more findable geocaches.

I also like the idea that it gives us a craft to work on together. When you take a treasure from a geocache, you leave a treasure. I wanted something inexpensive to give and fun to make. I came up with Perler Beads! They are fusible beads and there are so many project ideas! And these creations are something that Princess will be okay with giving away.


We started working on some creations for practice. The ones we will give, I want to keep the creations on the small side to make sure they'll fit in the geocache box...not that I have any idea how big a geocache box is. ;) We got started a few days ago and Princess loves this project! She has spent a lot of time designing her own creations and copying templates we've found on the internet.

My job is to find the colors she needs and she creates the designs. It's really nice having this quiet time, working together on a project. We haven't done anything like this in a long, long while.






Hamantaschen, two flowers and a dog food bowl.
And the creating continues! While crafting, Princess and I talked more about geocaching and she is really excited to started. Maybe next weekend? We'll see how the weather, schedule and motivation cooperates. After all, we're indoor girls.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I've always been more inclined to be indoors, it's just my nature. Except of course when we're camping, then I'm in my element.

    I love how the beads are also great for fine motor skills, something Daughter has always struggled with even with the occupational therapy.

    Then again, she can type 60 words a minute. Nope, no box for my girl. ;)

    How do the beads fuse together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've always taken you for an outdoor girl. It must have been the camping thing. ;)

      The beads are great for fine motor skills, too. And Princess keeps asking when we're going geocaching. The forecast is not good -- rain, rain, rain for the next 10 days. I guess it is Oregon. The beads fuse together by ironing them (with a parchment paper in between the iron and the beads). It's really quite cool!

      60 woods a minute! Go Daughter!! And yes, no boxes here either, that's for sure. Boxes are for things, not people!

      Delete
  2. Ooohh... my mother just gave Naomi a set of these for her birthday! i will have to share the pics and ideas with her; thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found the links helpful! Who knew something so simple could be so much fun?!?!

      Delete